Re: [STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens

From: Joeli Hokkanen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:30:45 +0200

On 15:48 Tue 10 Mar     , John Li wrote:

> Rereading the thread, the bizarre freakout behavior you get makes me
> want to ask what kind of video card you have, and if you're using a
> binary driver. But if your setup works with all other wm's....
>
> Could you relate exactly how you start up X and how you set up the
> monitors? Do you have stuff in xorg.conf to configure both monitors to
> use? Do you run "xrandr" commands when you start x through ~/.xsession
> or something similar?
>
> Rather puzzling. Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with StumpWM's
> multihead code - you'd have to go to male, as I believe he wrote it
> all originally.
>

> Good luck, sorry I'm not more help,
> John

Hi John,

I have to confess I don't know too much about this PC's hardware. I just
got it for free from a fried last week. As it was better than my old PC
(I don't really need awesome graphics performance), I took it as my main
PC and my old box is now serving as my server. But here's what I know.

I have an integrated Intel 965Q / Q965 (I don't really know which one
is the ``official'' form; dmesg says it's 965Q, while lshw says the
opposite) GPU. The card only has one (VGA) slot, so the another (DVI)
slot is provided by some kind of an addon card that was there when I got
the PC. Intel's website also mentions these cards, so I'm guessing
they're official expansion cards made by Intel.

I start X with ``startx'' from a TTY. I don't need to run any xrandr
commands manually, everything is set up in xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "vga"
    Option     "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
#    Option    "Position" "0 0"
    Option     "LeftOf" "dvi"
    VendorName     "Dell"
    ModelName      "E176FP"
    HorizSync       31.0 - 80.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "dvi"
    Option     "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
#    Option    "Position" "1280 0"
    VendorName     "LG"
    ModelName    "Flatron Wide"
    Option     "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "intel"
    VendorName     "intel"
    BoardName      "Q965"
    Option         "monitor-VGA" "vga"
    Option         "monitor-TMDS-1" "dvi"
    Option         "TripleBuffer" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
    Monitor        "dvi"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes     "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        Virtual     2720 1024
    EndSubSection
EndSection

--

Does male read this ML? I'd really appreciate any comments or help from
an ``expert''. ;)

If you need anything else, don't be afraid to ask. :)

Regards,
  Joeli