Re: [swarm-hackers] libtool, CDPATH

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] libtool, CDPATH
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:15:20 -0600

Scott Christley wrote:
It looks like the issue is that "zsh" is needed, this shell isn't installed by default on Fedora 8.
Hmm, there is no real reason that we need to keep a copy of libtool templates (ltmain.sh). IIRC the reason they are in the tree at all was that long ago libtool needed tweaks to make DLLs, dylibs, shared libraries suitable for release. We could just as well remove {.,/libobjc}/{ltmain.sh,config.guess,config.sub} from CVS and then make autogen.sh actually rerun libtoolize. Then there would be less in Swarm that could cause version mismatches in autoconfiscation. (Other than interface changes relevant to configure.in or the way m4 macros need to be written.

I recently updated by libtoolize to libtool 2.2.2 was to see if it would help with MacOS X library building issues, and it did.
So I commited the new ltmain.sh and config.{sub,guess} files.

You might try just rerunning "libtoolize --force --copy" at the toplevel and in libobjc/. If you are using different libtool, when you run "cvs diff" you'll see that the six (removable) files I mentioned above will change. Then redo the autogen.sh.

The motivation for not keeping the tree in buildable shape (no pre-run autogen.sh) was to be aware when automake/autoconf/libtool was changing out from under us across releases of Fedora/Debian etc.

My `create the local autoconf/automake/libtool tree' suggestion was only intended for MacOS X. I think whatever automake/autoconf/libtool will work fine on Fedora or Debian (provided libtoolize is run again). It's MacOS X that tends to have significantly older versions of those tools.

Marcus