Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:52:17 -0700

MGD> Alex Lancaster wrote:
>> Alternatively migrating everything to a new service would be OK
>> too, but we should migrate everything lock stock & barrel rather
>> than having bits scatttered over several different services
>> (swarm.org, savannah.nongnu.org, code.google.com)...
>>
MGD> But it's already in pieces.  UMich host the public website and
MGD> main mailing lists.  CVS and swarm-hackers are at the FSF.  I
MGD> don't see a particular advantage in having one site do
MGD> everything.  It's better to have more people involved than less.
MGD> No single point of failure that way.  Actually it might be good
MGD> to start mirroring the CVS in Mercurial or SVN or something just
MGD> for that reason.

Sure, but I'm saying that we don't really want to keep proliferating
either.  I think it's OK to keep the wiki and mailing lists at
swarm.org (UMich), but I think that if we switch the version control
to somewhere else, and we want to add a bug tracker, that those
services should be at the same site, ideally they would be somewhat
integrated, e.g. like trac.

Mainly if we did switch from savannah, we should make that very clear
on the savannah site and setup as many notes/links forwarding to the
new location as possible.  I see a lot of projects where things bug
tracking/VCS switch from location to location and the developers don't
make it clear where the latest activity should be, and so potential
devs (and users) assume a project is inactive, whereas it's just that
it has moved.  That can also lose developers.

A.