Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:41:25 -0600

Pavel Vinogradov wrote:
  From my previous experience for fruitful we need three pieces:
VCS repository for code, maillist for discuss and IM meetings.
We've been using Savannah, the GNU project's sourceforge like thing. It's kind of clunky, as it only provides CVS. code.google.com would be an obvious choice. I've got a SVN server at snoutfarm.com too.
  Some additional tools is: wiki and bug/feature tracking.
As remarked by Steve, I think just using some part of swarm.org makes sense for the Wiki. Unless there are particular features that are absent that you'd like to see. I can set up Bugzilla or Trac or whatever at snoutfarm.com. Actually we never even used bug tracking software even for Swarm itself. The mailing list archives of address@hidden are probably about the closest thing to issue tracking.
  Some of this things is project related, therefore i will describe my
project wishes and ideas (but this ideas would useful for Haruki)

1. VCS - i want to have there some distributed VCS like mercurial or
git. In previous year we use svn and i often have situation when i can
work on project but don't have Internet connection.
Ok. Maybe the SDG should just once and for all move to mercurial or git? Thoughts anyone?
I mostly have been using SVN, but I'm almost always online.
2. Mail List: As i know in previous year this maillist was used for
GSoC discussion and reports. I have only one question - why list
archive not available to public?
I think it was a default of Savannah. I've changed it. It's now a public list with a public archive.

3. IM meetings. In previous year we scheduled two personal meetings
with mentor per week. And one IRC meeting per week for group
discussion (this meeting never happen). It is good to use ICQ/Jabber
and IRC for this.
Ok, whenever works for you..  (Don't think I've used IRC in 10 years!)

  I don't think now that we need any wiki (separated from swarm) or
bugtracker. One next question is timezone - I'm live in Russian on
GMT+4.
GMT-7 (1:40pm here now)