Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:57:32 -0500

Scott Christley wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to make Swarm a standard debian/ubuntu package so those
> users can just use the apt-get package system to install Swarm.  Is
> somebody already doing this or has worked on this?  If not, I'm gonna
> apply to become a Debian maintainer for Swarm.

Please do.

I fought the big fight to get Swarm to compile on an Ubuntu system last
month. I posted the problem with the Java setup and the flaw in the JDK
installation that confused Swarm's configure script. Other than that,
the new tarball built a working install.  As I recall, the big problem
was that the Sun JDK installs an empty directory that has the word
"native_threads" in the bin directory, and unless you delete that, Java
Swarm won't build.

I can build RPMs, but building Debs just kills me. I keep meaning to do
it, but the process seems so uncomfortable to me.

I'm curious to know if you will want to call your package "libswarm"
rather than "swarm".

PJ