Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu

From: Nima Talebi
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:08:05 +1000

Hi Scott,

That sounds great - yes becoming a Debian developer is a little involved, but not impossible obviously - basically an existing developer has to sponsor us as you've already discovered, and then justification of the package(s) we want to get into the next testing/unstable release - the only time this is an issue is when people try to add a package for which another package already exists offering what this package does, for example offering to add some new http server which offers nothing over what apache already does - it has to have some unique quality to get in basically.

I've been out of the swap mailing list loop for a while, so as soon as I get a chance I'll go and see what you're referring to regarding splitting swarm into various packages.  Having said that though - the Debian packaging tools already have tools and a mechanism for this kind on thing - so we have one build area to maintain, and in the 1 rules file we can define all the various packages we are building, so it `feels' like we're only maintaining 1 package, even though we're producing multiple.  The other cool thing with Debian packages (unlike RPMs) is the post-install/pre-install ncurses wizard which we can have ask the users certain questions - which comes in handy for more complicated installs/upgrades.

I'm off to Melbourne tonight but will be back online in a few days - my sister's wedding.

Talk to you soon,

Nima