Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm in debian/ubuntu
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:45:22 -0700

On Sep 29, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

Scott Christley wrote:
On Sep 25, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

I'm curious to know if you will want to call your package "libswarm"
rather than "swarm".

Didn't think about it until you mentioned it, was thinking just
"swarm" but there does seem a convention to use "lib" when its a
library.  Looking further though we might want to consider different
Swarm variations, especially considering the different GUIs and such,
for example:

swarm-core
swarm-tcl/tk/blt
swarm-gnustep
swarm-java

Until now, we've had RPMs for
1. swarm 0bjective C
2. optional JDK addon
3. optional gcc-java addon

This has not been entirely happy because the precise version of the JDK
must be specified, and that caused trouble where some people wanted to
use Sun JDK, others Kaffe, others Blackdown whatever...

If that perception (guess) was accurate, it makes me think we should not provide a swarm-core at all, but rather we should aim to give each user just one big package, one for Swarm-Objective C (if possible, it should
support all possible GUI), one for Swarm-Java.

My main reason for not including everything is because then it creates a lot of dependencies: tcl/tk/blt, gnustep, java, etc. which might not all be needed, and I guess will be a problem for some distributions as not all of these are available, e.g. gnustep hasn't been packaged yet for Fedora.

The Swarm configuration currently cannot build all of these together in one-shot, need to do separate configure-build steps. This could be changed but I think we might need to resolve the current GUI conflicts (i.e. differing interfaces) before that would work well.

Why is the precise version of the JDK needed? Is this a packaging issue or something internal to Swarm?

Scott