synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4

From: Guillaume Pratte
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:20:32 -0400

Le 8 Octobre 2003 07:09, Michael Vogt a écrit :
> I put a new test-release online. This one features version selection
> on a per-package basis. This means that if there is more than one
> version of a given package available, you can use the "advanced" tab
> of the main window notebook to select which version to use.

I just tested version 0.45pre4.

I think the fact that you chose the version with a button is a little
confusing. It does the same thing as the install button on the right (in the
Actions panel) if there is only one version available. I don't think a new
user will understand this UI easily (not at the first look).

I think that Sebastian's idea of version selection radio buttons should be
implemented, without the "Not installed" option, and that the "Install"
button should use the version selected in the "Advanced" tab. I would rename
"Available Version" to "Version to install".

> I tested it on two debian machines and it seems to work. So I'm
> interessted in reports from rpm users. What I really wonder is, if we
> should hide this feature by default. Version selection might be too
> much for newbies and it has the potential to mess up the system
> (because e.g. downgrading a pkg is always dagerous).
> I'm interessted in your thoughts!

If you install a stable version of Debian, by default, the source.list file
only contains stable, so no there is danger there.

The problem might be with an installed version of Knoppix, where the
source.list file contains stable, testing and unstable... But this is an
"Advanced" tab after all. Maybe there should be a warning message that
selecting another version might screw up the system consistency, or something
like that?

Also, I think I may have spotted something wrong in the dependencies tab (like
dependencies in red, meaning that you cannot install them, but in fact you
can). I will test a little more and write back on this list.

Guillaume Pratte