synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:09:47 +0200

Hi Sviatoslav,

can you please not send HTML mails? I use mutt and it's a bit
cumbersome to display those mails with it.

BTW, I added you to the contributors list in the about dialog (sorry
that I forgot you at first).

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 05:02:08PM +0300, Sviatoslav Sviridov wrote:
> now about bugs :)<br>
> 1. There is not all information for package now available at the
> "Information" tab. Not shown: current/installed version, size, may be
> something else, and in the console we can see:<br>
> ** (synaptic:698): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> pango_layout_set_text()<br>
> it looks like localized string not converted to UTF8.<br>

Oh well, this sucks. I rewrote parts of the code that displays the
version information. This should be fixed with the attached patch.

> 2. It seems like "Purge with configuration" action not needed for rpm
> systems (there is also configuration for it in preferences window). May
> be someone correct me if I'm wrong...<br>

I can remove this for rpm users, if this is irrlevant for them.

> Questions:<br>
> I want to ask how synaptic determines distribution name? I have
> included in sources.list CDs from my distro and local repository.
> Packge versions from distro marked with correct name "Master", but from
> local repository it looks like "Unknown". I tried to set some variables
> in "release" files generated by genbasedir, but it didn't help. Does
> this name included in pkglist files?<br>

To be honest, I don't know. I use apt and the code snippet Panu send
to me to get the available archives:
    for (pkgCache::PkgFileIterator F=_cache->FileBegin();F.end()==false;
         F++)
        {
            pkgIndexFile *Indx;
            _list->FindIndex(F,Indx);
            _system->FindIndex(F,Indx);
            if ( !F.RelStr().empty() ) {
                if(find(archives.begin(),archives.end(),F.Archive())
                   == archives.end()) {
                    archives.push_back(F.Archive());
                }
            }
         }

I guess the name is part of the Release file, but I'm not sure. I can
add this to the FAQ once we figure it out (I guess there are more
people interessted in it).

bye,
 Michael