synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre4
Date: 09 Oct 2003 19:30:08 +0300

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 18:09, Michael Vogt wrote:

> > 2. It seems like "Purge with configuration" action not needed for rpm
> > systems (there is also configuration for it in preferences window). May
> > be someone correct me if I'm wrong...<br>
>
> I can remove this for rpm users, if this is irrlevant for them.

Yup, it's irrelevant for rpm, feel free to remove.

> > Questions:<br>
> > I want to ask how synaptic determines distribution name? I have
> > included in sources.list CDs from my distro and local repository.
> > Packge versions from distro marked with correct name "Master", but from
> > local repository it looks like "Unknown". I tried to set some variables
> > in "release" files generated by genbasedir, but it didn't help. Does
> > this name included in pkglist files?<br>

If you change release* contents after running update you'll need to nuke
the associated list files and possibly (don't remember for sure) the
cache too for (lib)apt to re-read those values.

> To be honest, I don't know. I use apt and the code snippet Panu send
> to me to get the available archives:
>     for (pkgCache::PkgFileIterator F=_cache->FileBegin();F.end()==false;
>        F++)
>       {
>           pkgIndexFile *Indx;
>           _list->FindIndex(F,Indx);
>           _system->FindIndex(F,Indx);
>           if ( !F.RelStr().empty() ) {
>               if(find(archives.begin(),archives.end(),F.Archive())
>                  == archives.end()) {
>                   archives.push_back(F.Archive());
>               }
>           }
>          }
>
> I guess the name is part of the Release file, but I'm not sure. I can
> add this to the FAQ once we figure it out (I guess there are more
> people interessted in it).

At least on apt-rpm the archive part is in release.<component> files but
don't remember if that's the same for Debian, the repository is more
than a bit different there. Anyway, like said, whatever's in the
release* files is pretty static info and can't be easily changed on the
fly in a repository.

        - Panu -