synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:27:54 +0200

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 10:55:14AM +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Good morning,
Hi,

> I would suggest clearing out the toggle button thing in the status
> selection, since I think that it is too confusing, especially the keep
> button.
>
> Instead the keep button should be renamed to undo and also behave that
> way. If now changes are selected the button should be disabled.
>
> The install/upgrade and remove can still remain toggle buttons, since
> they indicate the selected status very well.
>
> I rearranged the buttons and sent the glade files to you, Michael.

The problem is, that undo is a operation that works on the whole
package list, not only on a given package and that we only supported a
limited set of undo operations (currently ~20). So undo might be lead
to unexpected results i.e. that it does nothing to the selected pkg at
all but to a complettly different package. Saving the undo information
on a per-package basis is possible but it would require a huge design
change and it leads to different problems. If you undo a change to
install a pkg, this affects in the general case more than just this
pkg (also this is the case with keep as well).

Why is the "keep" button confusing (this is a honest question, I use
synaptic for too long now, to see such things).

> Perhaps a status illustrator for installed packages in the package list
> would be nice, too. I would suggest to show an "i" in status column if
> the package is installed.

I like this idea. I added it to my TODO list.

bye,
 Michael