synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal

From: Guillaume Pratte
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:25:15 -0400

Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :

> > > A honest answer: It is pressed. I think that a button should only be
> > > pressed if it was chosen so by the user. The status quo should not be
> > > an activated state.
> >
> > I have a suggestion...
> >
> > It involves merging the "Advanced" tab with the "Status" buttons... See
> > attachment.
>
> The problem is that you have to think too much: A not very skilled user
> has to read all the text and then decide between several options and
> perhaps not having any idea what a "downgrade" and it effects are at
> all. And you can only make a decision if you know the alternatives.
>
> So this can not be the only way of package handling. There must be an
> easier option: simple buttons called "Install", "Remove" ( or "Keep") :)
> But how could they be implemented without reproducing text and
> functionality?
>
> Anyway this would be a nice solution for the advanced tab.
>
> Sebastian

First of all, I do not agree with the use of buttons for "Keep", "Install" and
"Remove". I do remember beeing confused by these buttons the first time I
used Synaptic.

According to the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines, http://developer.gnome.org/
projects/gup/hig/1.0/controls.html#controls-toggle-buttons :

"Do not use groups of toggle buttons in dialogs unless space constraints force
you to do so, or you need to provide consistency with a toolbar in your
application. Check boxes or radio buttons are usually preferable, as they
allow more descriptive labels and are less easily-confused with other types
of control."

See attached pictures for a new simpler suggestion. The title of the window of
the mock-ups indicate the package status : "installed", "installed and
upgradable" or "not installed".

If this gets implemented, my previous idea could be implemented as well... You
would switch an option in the menus or in the preferences to "use advanced
version selection for packages", and the radio buttons would turn into
something like my previous mock-up. No need for an advanced tab :-)

Guillaume Pratte