synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Ui Proposal
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:56:17 +0200

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:00:50AM +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > First of all, I do not agree with the use of buttons for "Keep", "Install"
> > and
> > "Remove". I do remember beeing confused by these buttons the first time I
> > used Synaptic.
>
> Me, too.

Well, it's fine with me to change them into radiobuttons. The amount
of code that needs to changed is small (it works as a prototype even
without any code change at all).

> > According to the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines,
> > http://developer.gnome.org/
> > projects/gup/hig/1.0/controls.html#controls-toggle-buttons :
>
> > See attached pictures for a new simpler suggestion. The title of the window
> > of
> > the mock-ups indicate the package status : "installed", "installed and
> > upgradable" or "not installed".
>
> Since the upgrade and dist-upgrade will be merged there is new room for
> additional buttons on the toolbar.
>
> So perhaps we could add an install and a remove button. These are the
> basic functions which are of need in daily life. I don't know of many
> people upgrading each package separatly. The default way would be to
> upgrade all packages.

I mostly upgrade single packages :)

The only problem I have with this suggestion is that we will mix
"per-package" and "global" stuff in the toolbar. "Update", "Upgrade"
and "Execute" work on all packages. "Install", "Remove" only on the
selected packages. "Upgrade" might be confused with "Upgrade selected
pkg". So in my opinion, we would need something like "Upgrade all
packages".

What I would like to do is to postpone this after 0.45 is released. We
have quite a few nice new features and it looks fine. Once we fixed the
problem Sviatoslav is having we should IMHO release (after some days
of warning for the translators to catch up).

Isn't it written: "release early, release often"? :)

> > If this gets implemented, my previous idea could be implemented as well...
> > You
> > would switch an option in the menus or in the preferences to "use advanced
> > version selection for packages", and the radio buttons would turn into
> > something like my previous mock-up. No need for an advanced tab :-)

Yes, that's a option for the future. I want the "expert" tab for now,
because I want to get some testing for it. So it needs to be on a
place where it can be easily found for now :) But once this proves
stable, we can put it to more uses.

> We have got some free space in the advanced preferences tab. Just below
> the release section thing. So we could also reuse the warning there. :)

You added the warning to the "expert" tab. Thanks :) I like it. Noone
can complain after that, that he wasn't warned.

> Take a look at my new mockup:
>
> http://pimpldrive.pimpzkru.de/renate/mockup-radio.jpg

Screenshot moved:
http://pimpldrive.pimpzkru.de/renate/synaptic/mockup-radio.jpg