Re: [Taler] Taler Android UX

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler Android UX
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:30:40 +0530

On 4/9/20 11:55 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>>> First time: - bank trigger (QR code, link on Bank-site) => Exchange
>>> selection => Tos => ...
>>
>> If there's a trustworthy exchange to pre-select, doing this might be
>> easier for users than being forced through exchange selection for their
>> first-time withdrawal. We could still show an onboarding dialog making
>> people aware of the possibility to change the exchange, but maybe only
>> for their second withdrawal?
>
> That sounds a bit too much like a dark pattern for really strongly
> forcing people onto our pre-selected exchange. Sure, having an
> audited/trusted exchange default pre-selected in that dialog can make
> sense so that the user only has to click on 'next'. But skipping it
> entirely and immediately going ToS without even giving a hint that there
> could be another choice seems fishy.

Christian: I'm not sure what you're arguing for here: Either (a) the
user should always have the *possibility* to change the exchange in the
withdrawal flow or (b) the user should always be *forced* to see the
list of exchanges (where the default is selected) and click "next".

I agree with (a) but not with (b).

But my bigger problem right now is that the big picture is not written
down coherently anywhere.  It makes it rather difficult to discuss and
keep track of what the current consensus is, as well as what the
rationale for getting there was.

I don't want to read Kotlin code or play around with the Android wallet
to know what our idea of the withdrawal flow is.  And having to search
through more than a dozen of emails for this is very painful too, and it
prevents new people from getting up to speed (when, say, we want to hire
a dedicated UX/design person at any point in the future).

Can we please write this down in a new design document in docs.git?
Probably some very informal "state machine" in text form would be a good
way.  Alternatively/additionally, some user-centric stories like we've
done in the Prototype Fund UX coachign.  Better ideas are of course
welcome too ;-)  Belen-style sketches can be included there too.  Better
to have them there than floating around in random e-mails!

Torsten, would you mind starting with this?

- Florian