Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"

From: lostgallifreyan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 03:27:38 +0100

An afterthough based on Lua, which might help to explain how this could work
for TCC...

If I write a "Test File.lua" in an arbitray location with the following line
inside it:
print(arg[1])  os.remove(arg[1])

... and I then make a new empty file on the destop 'New Text File.txt', I can
drag three files, adding a space between them: (Spaces exaggerated for clarity)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LUA\LUA.EXE     F:\TESTFI~1.LUA
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\NEWTEX~1.TXT
(Though Lua's own is on my system path so I normally just type 'lua'..)

arg[1], which is the passed file's path, will be printed as follows:
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\NEWTEX~1.TXT

Then the file will be removed, proving that Lua fully understands what DOS 8.3
convention means.

I mention this because this is the default Lua source, this wasn't a special
Windows compile. There could be something in Luh's code that you can use to
help TCC to do this too. It's not just about making it easier for Windows
users, it's about making it versatile. Elegance is a matter of perspective.
While Windows displays all-caps shortnames with only the first letter
capitalised (truly nasty!) there is some good in the way it handles paths. The
coders of Lua obviously agreed, as they implented excellent handling for them.