Re: [Tinycc-devel] improving get_tok_str

From: Thomas Preudhomme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] improving get_tok_str
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:10:09 +0800

Le 2014-03-30 19:36, Domingo Alvarez Duarte a écrit :
I vote for write a comment and tagging it "NOTSURE", when other
people look at the commit probably some of then they will read it and
check the validity of it and if its not valid will raise it and
probably between us we can fix/improve it.

You need to consider 2 things though. The first is that when doing a patch you will typically look at much more code than you modify. Adding comment for all that code would be a big hassle that would almost certainly demotivate me from contributing since I'm doing this as volonteer (as opposed to a paid job). You need to find the right balance. When I modify something I try to add comments for what I did (unless it's trivially obvious like a lot of my fixes) and add some comments around if I find something is missing and I have the knowledge. The second thing is I don't like much to show how much I am still ignorant after all this time spent on tinycc :(

Alternatively, if any code seems obscur to you feel free to ask here and you might find an answer. You obviously cannot do that when lots of things are obscur, only for the worst things. One thing very important that people new to tcc can do though is write down somewhere what things where difficult to figure out. As you said, once you gained knowledge about a software you forget about what part lack documentation because you understand things. So new people can write this down and either publish it here, or keep it and write the documentation once they gained the knowledge themselves.

Cheers,

Thomas