Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is static linking functional?

From: lifenjoiner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is static linking functional?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:52:26 +0800

Hi Wendell P,

> I have been using TCC 0.9.26 32-bit on Windows to compile with dynamic
> linking. No problems. I can't figure out static linking, though.
>
> First, TCC doesn't accept .lib files, so what is it that you link when
> doing static linking on Windows?

For static linking, TCC needs *.a library or *.c files directly.
*.a files should be made by tiny_libmaker. And *.a files should content all
needed codes. It means *.a files should be made of original source code, not
"*.def + *.c" as "fake" library.

> Second, the docs list the -static option but don't say how to use it. I
> have tried various likely incantations, but it fails without even any
> informative error messages.

If static linking fails for provided library, TCC will try dynamic linking
instead.
Try "-vv" option to locate the library you expect, and then see its type.

> So, is static linking working at all and if so, what is the syntax?
>
> --

It's all my personal opinion. Hope it will help.