Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is static linking functional?

From: Wendell P
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is static linking functional?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:56:45 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014, at 09:52 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> > I have been using TCC 0.9.26 32-bit on Windows to compile with dynamic
> > linking. No problems. I can't figure out static linking, though.
>
> For static linking, TCC needs *.a library or *.c files directly.
> *.a files should be made by tiny_libmaker.

What kind of file does tiny_libmaker operate on and what is the syntax?
The docs don't say.

I found the libraries I want as static lib.a compiled with MinGW. When I
try to build with something like

tcc -static app.c lib.a

TCC complains that it can't find lib MSVCRT. For one thing, I've looked
and I can't find a source for a msvcrt.a. For another thing, I made a
dummy msvcrt.a to see what would happen, but TCC doesn't find it no
matter where I put it. I have noticed that after I build something with
dynamic linking, if I add the "-static" option, the error I get is that
TCC can't find the libs.

It shouldn't be asking for a MSVCRT lib anyway. What is it doing?