Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is anyone on the C standards committee?

From: JeanHeyd Meneide
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is anyone on the C standards committee?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 15:53:16 -0500

Hi Charles,

     My name is JeanHeyd Meneide, and I'm on ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG14 - the C Standards Committee. I write about it in a personal capacity and not-very-frequently here - https://thephd.dev/

     So far, what I've heard about so far is the standardization of GCC/Clang and other's __auto_type extension seemed to cause a lot worry for folks, and that "nullptr" might not be hard to implement but unsavory.

     After that, things like compatible type improvements, enumeration fixes and improvements, required two's complement behavior, #embed, __VA_OPT__ for macros, and more all came in to solve longstanding undefined behavior or implementation-defined behavior issues, code portability issues, and *so far* received pretty broad support from the communities we've been in contact with.

     (The above are all language-based features; there's library features too such as the new stdbit.h header, improved time bases in time.h, the new stdckdint.h header for overflow/underflow-checked arithmetic, and more.)

     I'd like to know what things you find to be unpalatable or unsavory in the direction of C! This can help us make decisions and inform us over the next 15 years.

Best Wishes,
JeanHeyd