Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:54:32 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for your experiences. I'll default to polygon based drawing then, since
it looks nicer imo, though it has a little bug that needs to be fixed :)

> Ok, it seems to be the Nvidia/Qt4 combination. The behaviour with two
> tracks, each containing a 1 h 50 min mono recording, on different systems
> is as follows:
>
> Macbook with 2 x 2 GHz, Intel 945 GPU, window size 1280x800: All actions
> super smooth!
>
> Intel 2 x 2.6 GHz CPU, NVidia 5600 GPU, window size 1280x800: Jerky, but
> usable. Update rate when dragging clips probably 2-4 fps.
>
> Intel 2 x 2.6 GHz CPU, Nvidia 5600 GPU, window size 1680x1050: Unusable.
> Update rate when dragging clips around 1 fps, when zooming < 1 fps.
>
> (The macbook runs Kubuntu Gutsy with Qt 4.3.2, the other one Mandriva
> 2007.10 with Qt 4.3.1. Both use KWin as window manager, not Compiz.)
>
> So it's not your fault ;-)

:)

> Hopefully the release of KDE4 is important
> enough for Xorg / NVidia / Trolltech to sort these problems out soon.

It looks like a problem in xorg, specifically pixmap memory handling. I'm
getting the feeling that Qt 4's painting routines make assumption how xorg
is 'supposed' to work, but many drivers and maybe xorg itself aren't ready
yet. Let's hope Qt 4 is ahead of time, and once xorg catches up, things will
fly.

> As for the different wave form painting, I can't detect any difference in
> CPU load on the macbook. It's always around 3% for traverso and 1% for xorg
> while playing, regardless of the zoom level and painting method.

OK, then let's forget about it for now, since it takes way to much time. Qt
itself is very fast, but at certain moments, xorg + drivers starts sucking.

Thanks for the link to that blog, it's good to know that others have similar
issues :)

Night!