xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] Packaging xnee for debian

From: Josh Dukes
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] Packaging xnee for debian
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 21:46:59 +0000

> > > Packages
> > > ===========================
> > >
> > > I think it would be to start off with one package;
> > >
> > >   cnee - containing command line verison + manual
> >
> > This requires parts of Xnee, no?
>
> Xnee consists of
>  cnee -command line
>  libxnee - the lib containing most of the functionality
>  gnee - a gtk gui
>  pnee - a gnome panel applet
>  and some manuals...
>

> cnee depends on libxnee
> cnee built statically (no shared libs)
>

> > > and then another package;
> > >
> > >   xnee - cnee, gnee, pnee + all docs
> > >
> > > and later on the devel package:
> > >
> > >   xnee-dev

I don't know much about any of this, but perhaps it would be a good idea to
seperate out libxnee entirely and make it a dep of xnee. The point of the
library is to allow the implimentation of xnee type actions in other apps.
Perhaps it would even make sense to have a seperate dev tree and source
package, as some groups have done. Perhaps that would just be going to far....
but it does make sense to me to break things into three main packages, and one
dev:

libxnee
xnee -  cnee, gnee, pnee + all docs
xnee-cli - cnee
libxnee-dev

We at microvu are only really interested in libxnee and xnee-cli, but it
should'nt be that much more work to do a package of xnee full once xnee-cli is
done. I haven't read the debian policy documentation yet, so perhaps there is
another way this should be organized.

Based on that configuration the extra config flags should be...

libxnee: --disable-gui --disable-cli --enable-lib --enable-shared
--disable-static --disable-doc --disable-gnome-applet
xnee: --enable-gui --enable-cli --enable-gnome-applet --disable-lib
--disable-shared --disable-static --disable-static-programs
xnee-cli: --disable-gui --enable-cli --disable-gnome-applet --disable-lib
--disable-shared --disable-static --disable-static-programs

libxnee-dev: --disable-gui --disable-cli --enable-lib --disable-shared
--enable-static --disable-doc --disable-gnome-applet

is enable lib and shared redundant? disable-doc because the docs are for bins,
right? or should docs be enabled for the libs? is gnome-applet already disabled
by default? Are these conflicting? Does this look totally wrong? erm...que`?

> > How familiar are you with building debs JD? Have you ever used
> > pbuilder? (I just started to use pbuilder myself and find it very
> > useful.) Your goals are to build a deb for local use, but if it
> > builds and works, I think it should be submitted to debian so
> > everyone can use it - this would be ideal I think and in keeping
> > with Henrik's and my philosophies about Free Software.

We've built tons of packages internally, and use them regularly for system
configuration, but we've never a distribution debian package here. I'll read up
on pbuilder. My initial goal was just to build a deb for internal use, but most
of the times we do this we don't start from source. Also, for internal use we
only really need xnee-cli. I'm doing this partially to learn more about Debian
package management. My boss has OK'd this partially also to give back to Linux
a little bit for the all the things we've gotten. One of my coworkes has also
joined the list, he's the current maintainer of our (ubuntu) repositories and
builds/maintains most or all of our internal packages at this point.

> > As I said before, just fire off a mail if you want help or testing
> > or what have you.

Will do... and I guess done... thanx.

--

Josh Dukes