Re: [Adonthell-general] Howdy ^_^

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Howdy ^_^
Date: 03 Mar 2002 18:44:25 +0100

>    Ahem*(taps mike) is this thing on? ok I'm talking now right? Yeah....umm
> well just to let you guys know I've been doing some research as far as game
> design and pixel art goes...but I need to know what it is that you want for
> the game in specific...but duhh don't get too technical I'm kinda stupid
> about most of this programing stuff just call a stricty graphics kinda' guy
> ^_^ ok I think that's long enough!

Hiya Nate and welcome aboard! :)

Don't worry, not much of the programming stuff is discussed here. It
usually goes into the adonthell-devel mailing list. In your case, you'll
want to make sure that you subscribed to adonthell-artwork too, as this
is where most of the discussion about artwork and design take place.

I don't think there's anything really specific for the game artwork.
You'll just have a few constraints you never had before (size
constraints, mainly - and also doing animations, which might get a
little boring at long ;)) But the reward for being patient and
persevering is that your art will make it into a real game, widely
distributed, with your name on it of course! Not to mention your entry
on our team page! ;)

But better to listen to what Ben and James have to tell you about the
artwork details - I'm just the boring programmer guy ;)

On to the game itself now:
The website contains about everything you'd like to know about
Adonthell. It only runs under Unixes for now, but we are planning to
have Windows binaries soon too (I assume you are not running Linux
here). So you should be able to see your work in action. Maybe you'll
even be able to integrate your own art into the game, if you want to.

On the development team:
Well, as you will see we enjoy a lot working together. Now that the core
team is quite mature, the development should advance at a good pace. We
usually release small demo games from time to time, to demonstrate the
features of the engine. Once a month, we try to meet on IRC to discuss
about the future orientations (well, we spend a good part of the time
talking about various things too), but most of the discussion takes
place on the mailing lists, for convenience.

I guess that's about all I had to say. Would you have any question, feel
free to ask them here! ;)

Ben, James? Here is a job for you! :)

See you,
Alex.