Re: [Adonthell-general] RE: C++/Python developers for a graphical role p

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] RE: C++/Python developers for a graphical role playing game
Date: 21 Mar 2002 15:51:59 +0100

> Of course. Currently, there's the main branch in CVS, containing the
> 0.3.2 code (with a few minor changes) and the Branch_road_to_0-4 branch,
> which contains all the new code. As far as the map engine and input
> system is concerned, most of the main branch is obsolete and will be
> replaced later on.
>
> You should be able to test some of the 0.4 code with this data:
> http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/alextest.tgz

There are actually two binaries that will be built when you run make
from the src directory: alextest, which is my new map engine test - it's
just in its first stages but already makes quite a difference with the
0.3 one, in case you played it! :) Right now I had to waste it a bit
though (removed Ben's character and displays red boxes at interesting
places - I'm deep into "collision" detections at the moment) but it
still should be of interest. joltest is a new GUI test - in very very
early stages too.

In tools you'll find dlgedit, the dialogues editor, which is the most
complete editor we have so far. As Kai is rewriting it, I don't know how
much it is usuable now, but the interesting thing about it is that you
now can i18n your dialogs with gettext - next version will use it for
all it's users texts.

> A last note on items: the 0.3 code contained a beginning of
> inventory/item code, but we found that it wasn't generic enough. There's
> a new approach in the 0.4 branch, in src/tools/combat. Not sure if it is
> any good, though. But at least it is a start.

I find it quite cool for now, of course it needs to be extended. For
Thorsten info, objects behavior are defined in Python scripts - our
policy is to have the game engine being totally independant on the games
themselves. So everything that belongs to a game (like items) are
defined either in data files, either in Python scripts. There has been a
big discussion about how items should be handled a few weeks ago, maybe
you'd want to follow it in the ML archives.

Of course, as Kai said, would you have any question, about our general
guidelines, our usage of Python (probably the part a newcomer would find
the hardest to figure out) or the particular items topic, just ask. Our
docs aren't very up to date and the code is in a quite messy state now,
so I guess it's not very easy to follow everything. People here will be
happy to help you getting in! :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org