[Adonthell-general] French Ministry or Research organizes Free Game pro

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: [Adonthell-general] French Ministry or Research organizes Free Game programming contest
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:38:37 +0100

It's a friend of mine who pointed this to me (who should join us soon to
make us a network layer!)

The French Ministry of Research organizes a Free (as in free speech)
game programming contest for the Internet Party that will take place
from March 17th to 23th in Paris.
(http://www.recherche.gouv.fr/fete-internet/default.htm, in french only
unfortunately :( )

Here are the big lines of the rules (http://concour.jcie.net/?ref=2,
french also):

-The contest has for goal to promote free software and free games
-It is open to any European Union citizen
-Professionals (i.e. people who are paid for making games in the
industry) can't participate
-All game themes are accepted - game output
is preferred in French, but tolerated in any European Union language
-No constraint on the programming languages, excepted that the game must
be compilable and runnable in a 100% Free environment (Linux for the
contest) and be multi-platform
-External librairies usage is accepted, as long as they are free
-The games rating will be done as following:
        -Originality (concept, plot) 20
        -Design 10
        -Graphism 10
        -Music 10
        -Network mode 20
        -Portability, scalability 20
        -Technical programming quality 10
A special prize will be attributed by the jury, but based on free
criterias.
-Prizes:
        -1st: 10 000 E (Euros)
        -2nd: 6 000 E
        -3rd to 5th: 1000 E
        -6th to 10th: 500 E
        -11th to 20th: 100 E
        -special prize: 2 500 E
Moreover, partners will be distributing prizes as well.
-Entrants will be invited in Paris to show their production. Transport
charges will be paid back up to 80 E.
-Prods must be sent on cédérom (ooops - CD-ROM sorry - yeah, that's the
"official" French term! :)) from february 15th to march 17th.

Sounds cool, eh? ^_^

So, here is what I think:
-Adonthell fits perfectly the rules of the contest,
-Since professionals can't participate, we have a high chance to get
prized,
-We could meet there! There is a coding party at the same time, and it
would be very cool to have a meeting in Paris. I can take care of all
the accomodations.
-I'm sure we would get prized if we present Waste's Edge. So bad 0.4 is
not in a presentable state already! :(
-The money could help making another meeting - it could pay the flight
for our friends overseas,
-It'd be definitely cool to meet there,
-It'd be so cool to meet there,
-It'd ... *chbam* argglll

Maybe it'd even be forth to present an "improved" Waste's Edge. I mean,
with true type fonts and so on. We'll have the French translation done
until then, so that's be cool. Although we'd be rated 0 for network, we
are excellent regarding portability, scalability (will have to make an
official Zaurus release!), all artistic aspects (which is very rare in a
free game, as you know), and we have interesting technical aspects
(Python embedding).

What I mean is that Adonthell is now probably in the top 10 of the most
popular free games, if I refer to happypenguin. Moreover external
opinions on Waste's Edge are always good (my friend is convinced we'd
win something). And at the very least if we all come we could get the
jury drunk so they give us the special prize! ;p

So! Shall I record the project? Would you come? C'mon, you can skip
school for a few days, and your trip will be paid back by all the cool
prizes we'll win! :) And maybe it's an opportunity to get funds to
organize another, larger meeting with ZT, Andrew... everyone!

Alex.
PS: there might be a problem: it look like they forbid projects that
started before January 2003 to participate. Since the dealine for
submission is March, it's really stupid unless considering all the
judging lines (graphics, music, network, plot, etc!). How can one make
such a game in free months during his spare time? I've told them about
this issue and asked how could Adonthell participate anyway. I'll keep
you informed, but logic would require they cancel this clause.
--
http://www.gnurou.org