[Adonthell-general] Inventory with the dialogue system?

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Inventory with the dialogue system?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:43:10 +0100

The contest sounds great!

>> PS: there might be a problem: it look like they forbid projects that
>> started before January 2003 to participate. Since the dealine for
>> submission is March, it's really stupid unless considering all the
>> judging lines (graphics, music, network, plot, etc!). How can one make
>> such a game in free months during his spare time? I've told them about
>> this issue and asked how could Adonthell participate anyway. I'll keep
>> you informed, but logic would require they cancel this clause.

Even if they do not cancel the clause there might still be a way around it. We
could just start a totally new Waste's Edge Special Edition (a new project)
that uses some existing code from Waste's Edge (we might even call the existing
code an outside library...). I know this is not totally clean, but then
there won't be any lawer's around to check on the projects. Anyway, if we add
enough to the existing code they might accept our entry one way or the
other... And it is definately a motivator. :)

Something else:

As far as a very basic item system is concerned I came up with someting (should
be good enough fo a simple use key with lock thing). We can use the
existing dialogue editor as a "semifake" item system!

See this example:

When you talk to the right person you get a key for a chest. You would have an
extra button that you can press to open up a dialogue box containing a
picture of your backpack (whre you would usually have the picture of the person
you're talking too) and a list of all the items you are carrying (where you
would normally have the dialogue). This Backpack view is used only to check
your inventory (additional functionality could be added later on). In this case
it would only state something like "rusted key".

Now once the player walks up to the chest a dialogoue box opens which states
"Looks like the chest is locked" giving the choice of "I will leave it alone"
and "Let us see if I have something usefull in my backpack". If the player
chooses "Let us see if I have something usefull in my backpack" the inventory
appears, and if the player then selects the "rusty key" entry from the list,
the chest opens.

I hope this was explained well enough. And I hope implementing something like
that is really as easy as it sounds (I know it is always horrible when the
non coders give 'useful advice').

Nevertheless this kind of inventory should be good enough for some cool stuff
(of course it is not good enough for a real rpg!). I imagine picking up a
beer mug in the main room of the inn ahnd giving it to oliver (so he gets
drunk). Or actually picking up silverhair's yedi statue to show it to
Frostbloom.
Or you could find some dung in the stables and combine it with the alchemy
tools to create a lot of smoke... I think all this would make Waste's Edge more
interactive and vivid.

Greetings, Nils