Re: [fluid-dev] static in output

From: Garett Shulman
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] static in output
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:07:36 -0700

Can you give more info about you setup? Processor, Memory, OS, sound card? Can you be more specific about the unwanted sound you are hearing? It only occurs in the lower octaves with sustain? Could it be clipping from having the gain to high? Have you tried adjusting the gain in fluidsynth to something low like 0.6 or 0.3? I doubt changing the code will be of much help. I run a 600MB rhodes sound font (used to be a .gig) fine on an athlon 1700 with 750MB of ram, a delta66, and alsa. Sounds great even with lots of voices. The latency is unnoticable to me even though I don't have kernel preemption enabled and some of the sample data is being swapped.
-Garett

address@hidden wrote:

I hear static from fluidsynth when I use ~40 megabyte grand piano
soundfonts and I play in the lower octaves with the sustain pedal down.
(I've noticed CPU usage is pretty high when I do that, too).  Does
anyone know ways to get around this (command line switches, code
changes)?   I'm willing to sacrifice latency or number of simultaneous
voices for a clean performance.