Re: [fluid-dev] static in output

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] static in output
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:18:40 -0800

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 15:01, address@hidden wrote:
> When I use this (freeware) soundfont:
> http://www.musik.aau.dk/~bovbjerg/Steinway%20Grand%20Piano%201.2.sfArk
> then with good headphones I can hear "static" in just about every note.
>  People rave about this soundfont on hammersound.net, so I don't think
> it is defective when used with commercial synthesizers.
> The readme that came with the soundfont said it was created with Vienna
> and saved in SF2, not SF2.1 format.

This shouldn't matter, since the .1 revision only added some modulator
functionality if I remember correctly.

> I noticed that with this soundfont, just a little keyboard activity
> sends my CPU level up to 52% (and it doesn't get much higher with more
> keyboard activity).
> Using reverb in fluidsynth makes the static echo.
>
> I tried bypassing jack and going straight to ALSA, I tried reducing
> polyphony to 8, and I tried increasing latency with the -z parameter,
> but none of it helped.  I can hear static even after playing 1 or 2
> notes.  Increasing latency on jackd also has no effect.
>
> I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and I'm using the ice1712 ALSA
> driver.  I don't think the static could be related to the sound card
> because I can record the static directly into Ardour and play it back.
> I tried looking at the waveform but the noise was less than the signal
> so I couldn't see anything.  (Nor did I see any sudden dropoffs.)  Jackd
> usually tells me when I get a dropout, but it has no complaints when I
> use this soundfont on fluidsynth.

What version of FluidSynth are you using? Also, you are sure that you
have adjusted the FluidSynth gain parameter to a point where its not
clipping? I have had static problems before, but its usually related to
gain. Not sure what you are experiencing though. Do you have any other
computers that you could try things on? Wish I could help more.
        Josh Green