Re: [fluid-dev] static in output

From: jpyle
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] static in output
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:01:52 -0500

When I use this (freeware) soundfont:
http://www.musik.aau.dk/~bovbjerg/Steinway%20Grand%20Piano%201.2.sfArk
then with good headphones I can hear "static" in just about every note.
 People rave about this soundfont on hammersound.net, so I don't think
it is defective when used with commercial synthesizers.
The readme that came with the soundfont said it was created with Vienna
and saved in SF2, not SF2.1 format.
I noticed that with this soundfont, just a little keyboard activity
sends my CPU level up to 52% (and it doesn't get much higher with more
keyboard activity).
Using reverb in fluidsynth makes the static echo.

I tried bypassing jack and going straight to ALSA, I tried reducing
polyphony to 8, and I tried increasing latency with the -z parameter,
but none of it helped.  I can hear static even after playing 1 or 2
notes.  Increasing latency on jackd also has no effect.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and I'm using the ice1712 ALSA
driver.  I don't think the static could be related to the sound card
because I can record the static directly into Ardour and play it back.
I tried looking at the waveform but the noise was less than the signal
so I couldn't see anything.  (Nor did I see any sudden dropoffs.)  Jackd
usually tells me when I get a dropout, but it has no complaints when I
use this soundfont on fluidsynth.