Re: [fluid-dev] static in output

From: jpyle
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] static in output
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:37:07 -0500

I am using a 2.08 Ghz Athlon XP with a 333Mhz FSB, 1G "dual channel"
memory, nForce2, 2.4.21 with preemptible and low-latency patches.  I run
fluidsynth as root, through jack and sometimes ardour.  I would describe
the static as occuring whenever fluidsynth is trying to process too many
voices: either when I am pressing eight keys, using the sustain pedal,
or playing something complicated.  It isn't limited to the low octaves,
but it is much more audible there, perhaps because decays are longer
there on the grand piano soundfonts.  I've tried turning down the gain,
but that doesn't make a difference.  Using the -z parameter also didn't
help much.  Someone at:
http://www.altlinux.ru/pipermail/music/2003-January/000617.html
described it as "crackly static distortion."  It doesn't sound like
clipping, but something more random, like dropouts occuring at random
intervals.