Re: LYNX-DEV Cannot load start page nit

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Cannot load start page nit
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:35:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

>   From: Tom Zerucha <address@hidden>
>
>   (Now if there was only a way to add a preprocessor program that would
>   receive the raw HTML and feed it into the renderer, I would be in
>   business).
>
> Could that "get raw HTML" program be Lynx, with a socket for
> installable filters?  Installable meaning much as downloaders and
> printers are installed.

Basically.  Lynx has a good network front end to get the raw HTML (in
the WWW library section).  This internal chunk is what I was referring to.

I also have "upget" which is in my export control section, since it does
SSL, - basically it copies the result of any URL to stdout, optionally
stripping the header and doing other things as needed, but the only real
advantage is that it is a tiny program because it only does the one thing.

In lynx, the renderer and screen management are tied together.  My lxtab
program does this, but at a higher level

Server -> (lxtab/t2thtml) -> HTTP.c/HTTCP.c -> [*] -> GridText.c, etc.

The [*] is where the new function would go.  For portability, it might be
best to act like a download, then feed the /tmp/file to a program that can
write the output to another known file.  lxtab uses the pipe-and-fork
approach.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;