Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:10:11 -0500 (EST)

> there's also 100s of lines about dired, printers, viewers etc,
> which are surely not needed by a single user, who simply exit/suspends Lynx
> & does what s/he always does in his own machine/directory.
> if all of this were removed from the source,
> surely Lynx would be much smaller?
>
> the whole Lynx set-up is heavily biassed towards multi-user environments,
> which IMHO is increasingly out-of-date.
>
> --
> ========================,,============================================
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : address@hidden

As I understand it, you are trying to solve two problems:

        1.  Lynx is too big.
        2.  Lynx is hard to set up.

I feel that the first isn't a problem and that the second will get much
better as the autoconf folks get some feedback.

Lynx is a smaller program -- even for folks with Win95.  The few times
we've heard "Out Of Disk Space" complaints on the list were during
compilation time; these generally have been fixed by compiling in the
/tmp directory or by the user downloading a binary.

As to the second:  I expect the autoconf folks will have a solution for it
shortly.

Making a "stripped-down" version of lynx is an interesting solution, but
I'm not sure that you've got a problem to go with it.  OTOH, if you really
think that single-user environments are the wave of the future and you'd
like to get lynx converted, go to it!  I'll be interested to see your
results and progress.

Best,

Barry Rountree
<address@hidden>