Re: LYNX-DEV OS/2 blowoff

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV OS/2 blowoff
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:01:16 EST

Fote writes:
 ]      It most certainly is violating one of the key objectives of
 ] the GNU GPL and FSF's founding principles.  The intent is not to
 ] to prevent anyone from making money indirectly through use of freeware
 ] (as many ISPs, and commercial organizations which distribute freeware
 ] on CDROMs are doing, for example), but to keep the sources open, and
 ] to ensure that any enhancments will remain available in source from to
 ] the overall user community.   Distributing binaries -- but not making
 ] the sources available on one's own initiative or on request, and for
 ] no more than a *modest* cost of media and distribution -- is a flagrant
 ] violation of what the GNU GPL and FSF are all about!

But did he base it off of a GPLed version, or of one of the versions
before Lynx was GPLed?

I can't run OS/2, but I was able to glean this from the Lynx/2 binary
with 'strings':

-version
OS/2_Beta_0.7
Lynx2
%s Version %s
(c)1995 University of Kansas
<address@hidden>
Portions (c) 1995, 1996 Decker Automation
<address@hidden>

No reference to the GPL, but when was that license added, and when was
the notice added to -version?

Based on the date, the code could be based on anything from 2.3FM through
2.4FM, right?

--jss.
;
;