LYNX-DEV Blather

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV Blather
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

I just got done uploading lynx2.7.1ac-0.81 for 386 and w32 as well as the
source for the bobcat I put up a while ago.

The lynxs are compiled with zlib so they can do internal gzip stuff.  They
are also compiled with pdcurses 2.3 so they may be better behaved with
international keyboards.  I hacked my pdcurses 2.3 so win32 mouse support
works too.  It is available from the usual place:
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/

One note about the 386 instructions...I tried using the
tcplib-dj200.1.tar.gz (sorry, don't remember which site that was) and it
didn't work at all for me.

I promised to report on the process of compiling lynx for win32 so we can
work on the install file.  Here is what I did:

Got pdcurses 2.3 from http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/
   (Mouse support broken for lynx.  Now works after butchering it.)
Got zlib from http://quest.jpl.nasa.gov/zlib/
Got latest lynx src from http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/
Compiled the pdcurses and zlib libraries and put them in a easy place
   (curses inside the lynx directory)
Made an obj directory under lynx to contain the mess
Copied in my IDE file
Built the .h files in src\chrtrans with makew32.bat
   (after a double check for new .tbl files)
Jumped into BC, loaded the project and tried compiling lynx.

The ide file is just a big project description file.  I never really
figured out if I should be trying to generate makefiles out of it,
offering the ide seperately or putting it in the distribution.  Comments
on that would be appreciated.  Other than that, most everything else
can be obtained in its generic form (as long as you don't mind broken
mouse support and can tweak a few things here and there).

;
;