Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.8

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.8
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 03:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

981004 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> So our status (things not completed):
>   + Bela is investigating a problem which may be due to NSL_FORK
>   + Al is working on some more documentation (or did I get all of that?)

i know TD wants to get 2-8-1 completed, but there are further small items:

(1) quick'n'easy, mainly in  lynx.cfg :
  (a) defaults need to be stated for `verbose' & `KB';
  (b) GOTOBUFFER & JUMPBUFFER should default to TRUE;
  (c) QUIT_DEFAULT_YES should default to FALSE
      (i leave COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS to TD without pressing it);
  (d) can we follow LP's proposal re Line Edit Style,
      ie comment it out in Options Menu & delete from Options Help?

(2) bits of programming, maybe best left till 2-8-2:
  (a) it is irritating to be asked to confirm  > 4 pp  on the print screen;
  (b) DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE = LINKS_AND_FORM_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED
      is not settable from  lynx.cfg , only from  userdefs.h  &  Options .

(3) bugs, perhaps not widely enough encountered to hold up 2-8-1:
  (a) the Option Form refuses to write the new options to disk
      if  .lynxrc  already exists: i sent in a trace without response;
  (b) i encountered  2  core dumps when 2-8-1pre.6 was redrawing the screen
      after i had called up a page with Left/Right Arrow.

AND FINALLY: haven't we added enough new features & tested things enough
to call the product  *** Lynx 2-9 *** (or 2.9, if you prefer) ?