Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:05:35 +0300 (MSK)

22-Nov-98 10:58 Kari E. Hurtta wrote:
> Leonid Pauzner:
>> It was proposed just before the releasing 2.8,
>> concerning case-insensitive search, but nobody
>> have contributed the mapping table (we find another workaround).

> For case in-sensitive search:

> Lynx uses unicode for mapping characters between different charset,
> right ?

> Unicode gives also methods to do case insensitive seach.

> Pick files:
>       ftp.unicode.org         /Public/UNIDATA         README.TXT
>                                                       UNIDATA2.TXT

Well, right, but UNIDATA2.TXT is 434K long and fast updating
for all possible characters...
And Lynx's task somehow special: to convert bytes from recognized codepages
to unicode, so we already have  src/chrtrans/*.tbl
The question was to find upper/lower case mappings with minimal efforts
and no problem for future maintainability.
So we find an appropriate assumption and made a function
TOUPPER8() in LYString.c
Yes, we could compile a small index from UNIDATA2.TXT and use it instead.