Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:05:45 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, David Combs wrote:

> > From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> >
> > Or maybe some thinking.  How can Lynx show the title if it
> > doesn't know it?  It can't.  So it shows the URL if it doesn't
> > know the title.  How does Lynx get to know the title?  Normally
> > by parsing the HTML when the document is loaded.  The rest is
> > left as an exercise.
> >
> >    Klaus
>
> Dear Prof Klaus:
>
>   That homework assignment is beyond me.
>
>   Perhaps a few more clues?

Perhaps you tell me instead with which step you have difficulties?

Here's one more clue anyway:     What's a title?

>   Better yet, just give the answer.

Lynx shows URLs in the LIST page when it (Lynx) doesn't have a title to
show.

But I guess I already said that.  If that doesn't answer your question,
then maybe you should repeat and rephrase the question.

The answer to the question "Is there a bug?", which admittedly you haven't
asked in this form, is "Lynx is behaving as it's supposed to".

>   About what lynx knew or didn't know, I recall (and that's all
>    I have to go on, memory from some days ago, not now being
>    able to reproduce the problem of the "bad" L-page),
>    that I had NO PROBLEM actually CLICKING on the items
>    on the page FOR WHICH the L-page was generated.
>   Perhaps your clue, whatever it is, will give us a way
>   to DUPLICATE that "bad" L-page?

Sure.  Follow the links (what you choose to call CLICKING), then go
back and THEN (re-)generate the LIST page.

     Klaus