Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:45:14 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Mon Jan 18 18:06:00 1999
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:02:30 -0600 (CST)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
>
> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, David Combs wrote:
> > Well, I thought people must be gung ho about seeing the
> > titles (else why would they appear on the L-page once the
> > addr was visited).
> >
> > Of couse, the titles are all there in plain view on the
> > "main" page -- spread around, maybe, but there.
>
> No, they are not.  You misunderstand what titles are.
> What Lynx regards as the title usually comes from the
> contents of the <TITLE> element.  The title of a document
> to which there is a link therefore usually comes from within
> the contents of the referred-to documents, not from the contents
> of the referring document.  Therefore it is not available
> unless the referred-to document has been already loaded.
>
> > It's the ADDRESSES (urls) that are NOT on that page,
> > and (I thought) that it was to see THEM that was the
> > REASON for implementing the L-page in the first place.
>
> I don't know why you think that was the reason; I wouldn't
> assume that.
>
>    Klaus

So you're saying that on the L-page the titles there will
be (usually) DIFFERENT from those that occur on the
MAIN page.

Man oh man, is this getting complex...

---

Well, now knowing THAT, seems to me that for SOME purposes,
eg for checking out one's own (or a friend's) web page
for corrections, suggestions, etc, ...

it would be very NICE to be able to see BOTH of those
titles -- that is, that seeing BOTH might well be a useful
OPTION.

That way, (if formatted for easy reading) you could gaze
across the L-page (with that option turned on), and QUICKLY
get an idea of where eg one title was about apples and
the other was about oranges -- a hint to follow the
link and see if that (or the title on your MAIN page) really
makes sense.

Can't automate THIS task -- only a human can read the
english/french/whatever to see if the two titles seem
to be related enough.

Like in my just prior post, where I suggested an option-setting
via a series of y's and n's for the different possible elements
of the L-page, this too fits that nicely.

Maybe a format showing:
   title-from-main-page
   title-as-discovered

Something like that as one of the options?

David

(Look, this L-page can be REALLY USEFUL!)