Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 00:37:37 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Sun Jan 17 12:57:17 1999
> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:55:40 -0600 (CST)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Mike Castle wrote:
>
> > Amazingly enough Klaus Weide said:
> > > You have to follow the link first, so that Lynx can know the title,
> > > for Lynx to display the title (instead of the URL).  Since Lynx
> > > attempts to show the title, but falls back to the URL when it doesn't
> > > know the title, it will show the URL only if you haven't followed the
> > > link recently.  Clearer now?
> >
> > Well, would it be a simple matter of implementation to allow an option to
> > display both if the title is known?
>
> I guess so.  It's all in showlist() in LYList.c.
>
> > VERBOSE_LINK_PAGE:  on/off, off by default
> >
> > If off, display title if known, if not, then url.
> >
> > If on, display title, if known.  Always display url as well.
>
> The last time I asked David Combs back what exactly he wanted,
> it turned out to be something rather complicated IIRC.  Something about
> putting the two both on the same line under some conditions, I think.
>
>    Klaus

Well, I thought people must be gung ho about seeing the
titles (else why would they appear on the L-page once the
addr was visited).

Of couse, the titles are all there in plain view on the
"main" page -- spread around, maybe, but there.

It's the ADDRESSES (urls) that are NOT on that page,
and (I thought) that it was to see THEM that was the
REASON for implementing the L-page in the first place.

My complaint, now that I finally understand what Prof K
was explaining (thanks to someone mentioning the titles
turning blue on netscrape after being visited), is that
the way chosen to add ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ("you have
already been there") to an item on the L-page,

was -- rather than merely ADDING a mark or something to
show the new info "you have been there" --

to instead REMOVE info -- PERFECTLY GOOD INFO -- in fact,
info AVAILABLE NO OTHER (reasonable) WAY,

Replacing THAT info with with info THAT IS INDEED EASILY --
EVEN TRIVIALLY -- AVAILABLE -- merely by H-ing back to the
main page.

THAT was my main complaint.

---

But, thinking about those titles, well, they're kinda nice,
you know.  Gives me more of a hint of what url I'm looking
at when looking at the urls on the L-page.

So, my idea was to, AFTER the url, simply APPEND a space and THEN the title,
and cutting it off when it hit the page-width point.

Then we'd have BOTH -- PLUS the mark (an asterisk at left margin)
marking those sites already visited.

---

THANKS MUCH to whoever it was who mentioned the blueing of the
links in Netscrape!

David