expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:44:41 -0400

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 09:42:50PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
[...]
> And so on.  As well as a more detailed mechanism, there should then
> be more options to control the behavior.  Not just whether to
> honor no-cache and Expires or not, but possibly which of them,
> ignore them only in META (where the more clueless authors put them),

"Guilty."  The now-old book I have on HTTP recommends putting expire
times in META tags.  Where should they go?

This is from the 4.01 specs:
======
   The following sample META declaration:
<META http-equiv="Expires" content="Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:25:27 GMT">

   will result in the HTTP header:
Expires: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:25:27 GMT
======

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Come on then; let's get this over with as soon as possible.