Re: lynx-dev changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:45:36 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, David Combs wrote:

>> > we don't seem to have a strong agreement either way - KW is on one extreme,
>> > and seems to be convincing LP.
>>
>> I also count Henry imn my camp... (Henry please speak up if I
>> misunderstood).
>>
>> I repeat my main reason: *Someone* should have to make a concious decision
>> *for* persistent cookies, before Lynx starts keeping track of them.
>> Be it the installer at compile time (which was the case before
>> --disable-persistent-cookies became default), or the user or sysadmin
>> (in lynx.cfg, now).
>Along with that decision to make, the user should also see
>or have a link to lynx-doc on just what trouble he might
>be getting himself into -- if any.

Well, I'll cast a a dissenting (the only?) vote.

I think persistent cookies should be on by default and there's no need to
warn the user.  This is what "Joe Schmoe user" wants, and sophisticated
users already know how to read the manual or look at the Usage line to
configure things the way they want.

GUI browsers ship with persistent cookies already on, and this is one case
where it isn't bad to follow their model.  Do things the easy way by default,
and make people who want to do _abnormal_ things have to configure things
that way.