Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:22:20 +0100 (BST)

> That seems pretty extreme.  For one, it seems like more of the ridiculous
> lawsuit-happy culture we live in (at least those in the US do)..  I believe

Lawsuits tend to be the penalty for having a free enterprise culture, given
that businesses are amoral.  If a section of the community has no commercial
pressure, but public policy is that businesses should serve them, the
choice is for the government to directly regulate them or for the courts
and lawyers to regulate them.  Personally I'd prefer the former, but
governments are often not prepared to take on that responsibility.

In some areas of law, they can actually be a way for governments to make
the right noises without having any real effect, e.g. most employees will
not take an employer to court.

Whilst I take a somewhat different line there, it might be worth noting that
one of the recent major contributors to the W3C's accessibility list is
taking a strong line against people who put avoidable obstacles in their
own way (the argument was about graphics and multimedia, not scripting).

> we _prefer_ to use a noncommercial browser.  (Even for GUI browsing at work,
> I use iCab, a minority browser, most of the time.. I only use IE for a VERY
> few sites, and as iCab is improving that number is going down.)

The questioner should know by now, given how long he's been on the list
(ignore the fact that the post was moderated), that the Lynx developer's
are aware of the Javascript problem, and some of the difficulties in
accomodating it.  He wasn't offering to build a Javascript Lynx or
providing resources to help someone else do so; he was asking support
in accessing a site, when it was the site that created the problem and
has the right to know that it is creating a problem, and the moral duty
(but note comment about amorality) duty to solve the problem.

I don't write to Microsoft every time I fail to access a Javascript site,
just because I don't trust the security of client side scripting.
(Which is why the site shouldn't assume that scripting will work, even
if it did look at the User-Agent header  - more likely they only look
at it after the fact to work out which are the top 80% of browsers, that
need to be supported.)

> I sure hope *someone* adds some JavaScript capability to a text mode browser.

I think that Mozilla would be a much better starting point, than Lynx.