Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.20

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.20
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 05:04:12 -0400

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:53:49PM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:03:56 -0400
> >
> > 2001-04-01 (2.8.4dev.20)
> > * fix a comparison in HTChunkPutUtf8Char() to work with EBCDIC -PG
> >
> Thanks.  Verified.
>
> > * add configure --enable-vertrace option, to put __FILE__ and __LINE__ into
> >   trace log -PG
> >
> Thanks.  When this didn't appear in dev.19 I feared it had been rejected,
> either on its (lack of) merits, or because it conflicted with other Work In
> Progress nearby.  I know I had to re-integrate it to apply it to dev.19.

no - just too late for me to look at it.

> But I notice my comma-expression has been converted to a compound-statement.
> Was the comma-expression too bizarre, or did it threaten portability?

well (my head's not too clear right now) - iirc, the issue was related to
whether I could ifdef-out the whole trace statement, that I noticed some
inconsistency in the set of ifdef's and related variables and rewrote the
whole thing.

> I liked the comma-expression because I could put a CTRACE within an
> expression:
>
>     x = wombat ? (CTRACE((tfp,"First\n")), a) : (CTRACE((tfp,"Second\n")), b);
>
> and it also avoids the syntax error if someone is so rash as to:
>
>     if (wombat)
>         CTRACE((tfp, "True\n"));
>     else
>         CTRACE((tfp, "False\n"));

yes (would be nice if the compiler were a bit more picky - 'antic' finds
some related issues in non-macros by looking at indent levels).

> > * fix a typo in LYCharUtils.c CTRACE macro, ...
> >
> Of course, it was the comma-expression that stumbled over this typo and
> caused a syntax error, for better or worse.
>
> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek
> INFORMATION made POWERFUL