Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese (JIS, EUC, Shift-JIS), uxterm

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese (JIS, EUC, Shift-JIS), uxterm
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:42:33 +0900

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:50:48PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >Maybe check again that your Display Character Set is "Japanese (EUC-JP)"
> >or "Japanese (Shift_JIS)" and that your terminal is set to accept the
> >encoding you have chosen for your display.
>
> No, my display character set is, obviously, utf-8.

This is another possibility why "it doesn't work" for you and it does
for me.  Are you sure the CJK stuff (--enable-cjk) applies if you are
not using one of the CJK character sets?  Without the Sato/Asada routines
Lynx simply will not cut the mustard.

Are you using the recent patch for iconv hooks?  If not, you might give
it a try.

> >General comment:  Those pages are like dinosaurs of the past.  I haven't
>
> Yes, I already thought that might be the issue - but then, lynx is

It's not an issue for Lynx (never was).  It's a serious flaw of the site.

> The Browser, so it ought to display them, no?

Lynx IS "The Browser", AND it DOES display them:

     * with JIS support: ... [15]text-only.
                               Japanese <-> English Dictionary Server (p1 of 4)

                 和英/英和辞典 - Japanese⇔English Dictionary

     * with EUC support: ... [17]text-only.
                               Japanese <-> English Dictionary Server (p1 of 4)

                 和英/英和辞典 - Japanese⇔English Dictionary

     * with Shift-JIS support: ... [19]text-only.
                               Japanese <-> English Dictionary Server (p1 of 4)

                 和英/英和辞典 - Japanese⇔English Dictionary

If all three don't look the same to you, or are "mojibake", then there's
more evidence that something is not right with your system: curses, locale,
terminal emulator, etc.

About the only other thing I can think of wrt Lynx is to play with the
option menu display section.  The following is what I have, which works
with all three of the pages above.

  画面と文字セット
  Use locale-based character set(!): [OFF]
  ディスプレーの文字セット         : [Japanese (EUC-JP)______________]
  ページの文字セット (!)           : [iso-8859-1_]
  日本語モード (!)                 : [ON_]

[What in the world is "Use locale-based character set"?  Impossible
 to get the time to keep up with Lynx's development. :(            ]

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999