[Monotone-devel] Re: checksum errors with netsync (was Re: Monotone and

From: Chris Fox
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: checksum errors with netsync (was Re: Monotone and RCS import)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:09:19 +0000

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 02:47:02PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> Chris Fox wrote:
>
> >Thanks, with netsync I appear to get a connection :)
> >but I get checksum errors :(
>
> ah yes, you are in an unfortunate position there, needing to rely on
> 0.10's netsync to update yourself, when 0.10 was the "shake bugs out of
> netsync" release. we corrected the checksum algorithm (it was ambiguous
> in 0.10 wrt. different char signednesses, didn't work on ppc) but of
> course it's no help to you since you can't *get* that update :)
>
> anyways, this is getting silly. I've generated a patch for you from the
> 0.10 release tag. you can just wget this and apply it with "patch".
>
>   http://www.off.net/~graydon/patch-for-chris-fox.bz2
>
> sorry for the confusion.
>
> -graydon

Many thanks for the patch.

Three hunks failed when applied to the monotone 0.10 source on the
website

1 out of 1 in boost/circular/buffer_base.hpp
2 out of 5 for po/monotone.pot

but the result configured and compiled ok.  However, I get an unknown
server key when trying to pull from off.net.  (I have installed the
"address@hidden" key.)

address@hidden Monotone]$ monotone --db=monotone.db pull --key=""
off.net net.venge.monotone
monotone: warning: doing anonymous pull
monotone: rebuilding merkle trees for collection net.venge.monotone
monotone: connecting to off.net
monotone: warning: unknown server key
monotone: processing on fd 5 (peer off.net) finished, disconnecting

Meanwhile, I obtained a copy of the monotone depo via another
route. This configured fine, but the build failed (could not find
-lpthread).  I have pthreads from glibc-devel 2.3.2 (14mdk) in the
following locations

          /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h
          /usr/include/pthread.h
          /usr/lib/libpthread.so
          /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a

Here is the fatal error message:

/usr/include/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp:66:7: warning: #warning
"Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
the results"
g++ -DNDEBUG -DBOOST_DISABLE_THREADS -Wall  -O0 -static   -o monotone
monotone-app_state.o monotone-commands.o monotone-diff_patch.o
monotone-lua.o monotone-nntp_tasks.o monotone-patch_set.o
monotone-transforms.o monotone-update.o monotone-work.o
monotone-cert.o monotone-database.o monotone-file_io.o monotone-keys.o
monotone-manifest.o monotone-nntp_machine.o monotone-packet.o
monotone-sanity.o monotone-vocab.o monotone-rcs_file.o
monotone-rcs_import.o monotone-xdelta.o monotone-network.o
monotone-http_tasks.o monotone-ui.o monotone-schema_migration.o
monotone-monotone.o lib3rdparty.a -lboost_prg_exec_monitor -lpthread
-lpopt -ldl -lboost_regex -lboost_date_time -lboost_filesystem
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Dr Chris Fox  <address@hidden>             Tel: +44 (0)1206 87 2576
Reader in Computer Science                    Fax: +44 (0)870 054 7770
University of Essex                           Web:  FoxEarth.org/chris
Colchester CO4 3SQ, United Kingdom            GnuPG: 488F6C2A/4FCBC9C6