Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone and RCS import

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone and RCS import
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:10:55 -0500

Chris Fox wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't seem able to get monotone's RCS import to do
anything useful.  Can you tell me whether this feature is work in
progress, or am I missing something?

it is a work in progress -- there are some known bugs -- but we've had significantly better results so far than you're reporting!

% monotone --db=project.db db init
% monotone --db=project.db genkey address@hidden
% monotone --db=project.db --branch=rcstest rcs_import rcstest/RCS/silly.tex,v % monotone --db=project.db --branch=rcstest checkout rcstest/silly.tex
monotone: fetching heads of branch 'rcstest'
monotone: misuse: branch rcstest is empty

rcs_import is a somewhat weak function in a program like monotone which deals primarily in "whole tree" states. namely: when you import an rcs file, it just adds the file's various versions to the file storage system. it doesn't create any manifests, nor associate them with branches, nor store any changelog or ancestry information. if it did, your manifest would only have one file in it, and you can't really "alter" manifests once they're made: their SHA1 changes, breaking identity :(

No MT directory is produced.  I get similar errors regardless of what
I try to check out.  Similar issues when I try cvs_import.

that is surprising. cvs_import ought to work if you set it on the rcstest/ directory. can you run it with --verbose and send a log of what happens?

-graydon