[Monotone-devel] Re: checksum errors with netsync (was Re: Monotone and

From: Chris Fox
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: checksum errors with netsync (was Re: Monotone and RCS import)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:36:46 +0000

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:49:40PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> Chris Fox wrote:
> >Many thanks for the patch.
> >
> >Three hunks failed when applied to the monotone 0.10 source on the
> >website
> >
> >1 out of 1 in boost/circular/buffer_base.hpp
> >2 out of 5 for po/monotone.pot
>
> the circular buffer stuff, yes, I've seen. I'm a bit mystified about it;
> I assume my patch writer has a bug, but I haven't been able to work out
> what it's doing wrong. anyways it's a trivial fix for gcc 3.4
> compatibility (a stricter C++ check) so don't worry about that hunk.

OK

> >but the result configured and compiled ok.  However, I get an unknown
> >server key when trying to pull from off.net.  (I have installed the
> >"address@hidden" key.)
>
> ahh, this is a shame. in fact the FSF's mail archive is mangling the
> email sent through it, as an anti-spam measure, changing any email
> address to one which ends in "@bogus.example.com". the key packet I
> meant clients to import is located here:
>
>   http://www.off.net/~graydon/monotone-public-server-key.txt
>
> if you wget that and import it, you ought to be in business. it seems I
> ought not to send things with email addresses in them to savannah anymore :(

Yes, that works! I can now pull monotone using netsync (and CVS import
is now "working" for me).

> >Meanwhile, I obtained a copy of the monotone depo via another
> >route. This configured fine, but the build failed (could not find
> >-lpthread).  I have pthreads from glibc-devel 2.3.2 (14mdk) in the
> >following locations
> >
> >       /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h
> >       /usr/include/pthread.h
> >       /usr/lib/libpthread.so
> >       /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a
> >
> >Here is the fatal error message:

> >/usr/include/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp:66:7: warning: #warning
> >"Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
> >the results"
> >g++ -DNDEBUG -DBOOST_DISABLE_THREADS -Wall  -O0 -static   -o monotone
>
> you are trying to do a static build, yet you have no libpthread.a, only
> libpthread.so. you need to do either a nonstatic build or replace
> -libpthread with -lpthread_nonshared.a on your link line.

Alas, this fix does not work, as it seems I do not have a static
version of libdl.

> static linking is unfortunately something the glibc people have taken a
> dislike to, so I'm afraid I can't guarantee it'll work much anymore. I'm
> somewhat upset about it but there seems not much I can do.

That is annoying; it would have been good to be able to give my
co-authors statically linked monotone binaries; they all have access
to various distributions of Linux on i386, but are unlikely to be able
to get their sys admins to spend time building/installing it for them.

[For similar reasons, it would be nice if some form of SMTP/email
 support could continue in future versions, as many of us are stuck
 behind firewalls with BOFH policies on allowing users to run services
 such as netsync.]

> -graydon

Many thanks for your help,
     Chris

--
Dr Chris Fox  <address@hidden>             Tel: +44 (0)1206 87 2576
Reader in Computer Science                    Fax: +44 (0)870 054 7770