Re: [Monotone-devel] package_full_revision.txt and derived files

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] package_full_revision.txt and derived files
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:51:19 -0600

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:52:23 -0600, "Matthew A.
Nicholson" <address@hidden> said:

matt> Peter Simons wrote:
matt> > currently, the build system rebuilds the monotone binary
matt> > every time you say "make" because it regenerates the
matt> > package_full_revision.txt file even though nothing has
matt> > changed.
[...]
matt> matt> I am willing to assist with a conversion to scons[1] which would
matt> elimnate problems like this and also enable builds like 'scons -j 45'.

The problem lies in the dependencies, not in the tool.

package_full_revision.txt is currently regarded as a .PHONY, which is
the reason it gets constantly rebuilt.  Is there a reason it can't
depend on MT/revision?

Either way it goes I am biased. I detest make, and when I discovered scons salvation was found. Scons is all around better than make in virtually every reguard. The only area where make can compete is when it is used with autoconf and automake and such (but scons can still do that stuff).

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com