Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: package_full_revision.txt and derived files

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: package_full_revision.txt and derived files
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:36:26 +0100

graydon hoare wrote:

is not terribly strong. monotone is already difficult to build on windows,

Hence I didn't think making it more dependency-rich/difficult an especially good idea - though given the comparitively small number of Windows users who'll be wanting to produce their own builds, it's perhaps not a big deal.

and I think much of that difficulty stems from the inability to use msvc, the "normal" toolchain windows users would want to use. I would say that installing msys+mingw is more work, on windows, than installing python.

Indeed.

scons does, in its favour, know how to use msvc.

So does MS's version of make :-) The main problem with MSVC, I would imagine, is less one of compatibility with build tools (though clearly, without mingw, one's not going to get autoconf/automake working - the OpenSSL people solve this by having a static version of the necessary files for Windows). The bigger issue is likely to be language/library-level platform dependencies.

That said, I would quite like to have an MSVC port. If using scons makes it easier to get to the stage of sorting out the language/library issues instead of spending time sorting out the building issues, that's less time I'd need to put into getting it to build with MSVC, making it more likely I'll find the needed time... (Anybody else who's already planning on this, please shout!)

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.