[Monotone-devel] Re: package_full_revision.txt and derived files

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: package_full_revision.txt and derived files
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:18:43 -0500

Jon Bright wrote:

Very few Windows users have Python. For people with decent package management, getting scons (and its dependencies) is probably pretty easy. Unless it's really necessary, though, I think it's probably an unwise choice for Monotone, as it makes building of Montone more difficult on systems *without* good package management (like Windows).

well, I am somewhat torn over this issue, but I think your argument here is not terribly strong. monotone is already difficult to build on windows, and I think much of that difficulty stems from the inability to use msvc, the "normal" toolchain windows users would want to use. I would say that installing msys+mingw is more work, on windows, than installing python.

scons does, in its favour, know how to use msvc.

I have in fact, many months ago, converted some of monotone's build to scons. it worked well in some respects, less-well in others. in particular, I had to rewrite a lot of configury, and I still wound up with something that didn't know how to do "make distcheck", and which the rpm and debian package systems didn't know how to configure and build.

-graydon