Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:35:43 +0200

So, now I'm leaning very much back towards having branch names that
are not leaves in the namespace -- because this hierarchical nesting
is more expressive in this case.  Even if it does really confuse
everyone used to svn/darcs/bzr/hg/..., with their branches as leaf
URLs :-).

I do not think this is true for hg. You can easily branch into the same space. I've just tried something along the lines of

hg init .
hg clone . subbranch
echo "Hey" > fff
hg st
? ffff
hg add ffff
hg ci
cd subbranch
hg pull

Works just fine. I can pull either . or ./subbranch. Unless you meant something else?

Unless anyone has any ideas on a less confusing way to accomplish this
goal?

Maybe branch renaming could help? When branching of the trunk create a leave. Afterwords rename the .roster-no-hash to .roster-no-hash/trunk and create another named .roster-no-hash/new-crazy-idea?

Zbynek

--
http://robotika.cz/